Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hi Tim! Stranger Ways, Indeed.

Hi Tim!

Got your e-mail today.  But you and I have already communicated on this subject.  Your organization is calling for a limited one-month boycott of PetSmart because they are not using the word "Christmas" in their advertising for the holiday season.  As I have mentioned before, I definitely use the word "Christmas" with my Christian friends and family.  Even with some of my non-Christian friends, who I know would not be offended.  Other religions have holidays that fall during the month of December, such as Kwanzaa, which celebrates African heritage.  This celebration is observed from December 26th to January 1st.  Also, there is Hanukkah, the Jewish eight day "Festival of Lights," which is observed in early to mid December.  This holiday celebrates the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem following the revolt of Jewish rebels.  So, Christmas isn't really the only holiday that falls between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.

But like I said, I touched upon the "Naughty" list of businesses that you offered earlier.  I mentioned in that post that my husband and I do shop at PetSmart, but quite infrequently. Usually the husband does all the shopping for the house, so I doubt that I will be in the store for the Holiday season at all.  And he's an atheist, so he will not be offended by any reference to Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah/Holiday.  He's very easy-going.

To change the subject a bit:  I discovered a couple of Christian rock bands over the past two weeks.  I don't know if you're into music like me (we don't know each other that well yet), but I love music.  And finding good music is always a treat for me.  The two groups are Anberlin and House of Heroes.  Some of their songs have specific lyrics that speak to Christianity, like Anberlin's "Stranger Ways" or House of Heroes' "A Man Who's Not Afraid."  But both of these band do not label themselves as Christian Rock bands.  They simply say that they are musicians who are Christians; much like I say that I am a gay man who is a Christian.  It's best not to put yourself in a box, in a category; that's almost like being in jail.  And as a Christian and an American, I feel free and grateful for that.

Anyway, here is a video of Anberlin's "Stranger Ways."  Hope you check it out.  It's good stuff.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

Yours in Christ,

Jason




No comments:

Post a Comment