Friday, November 7, 2014

Hi Tim, Merry Early Christmas!


Hi Tim,

I can't believe that we are in the first full week in November, and we are already talking about Christmas.  I remember those old days, when Christmas didn't officially begin until the day after Thanksgiving.  I'm sure you do too.  But I guess it's all marketing.  And since we here in the United States are really now just a consumer nation, I suppose the early start of the Christmas season is somewhat unavoidable.  But nowadays, Thanksgiving (which is a big family holiday) seems to get the short end of the stick.

I usually hold off on the Christmas greetings until after Thanksgiving myself, but I received your e-mail today.  So I guess we can discuss that.

You mentioned in your post that last year "roughly 80 percent of the nation's retailers ignored the use of "Christmas" in their stores and in advertising, choosing instead to use the politically correct terms 'Happy Holidays' or 'Holiday Sales.'"  Since it's all about marketing (as I believe that it is), I would imagine that retailers just want to make a buck, regardless of anyone's belief system.

I'm definitely one who believe in "Merry Christmas," but many of my friends who are not Christian like me, still celebrate in December, with family gatherings and by exchanging presents.  I doubt that they'd be offended if retailers are using the term "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays."  I wouldn't, but I'm pretty easy-going.

I see that last year, you called for a boycott of Radio Shack, because they wouldn't use the term "Christmas" in their advertisements.  And today you announced that the boycott was a success.  Radio Shack is now using the term "Christmas" again.  Cool!  It's like back to the good old days, when I was a kid.  Back then, most everybody said "Merry Christmas."  I only heard "Happy Holidays" on occasion.  I didn't take that as a hit on Christ, I thought that people were just trying to change it up a bit.  But I didn't think they were dishonoring Jesus.  I didn't think that Jesus would mind.

I'm not trying to be snide here, but I'll still probably not shop at Radio Shack.  If I'm buying electronics, I do it on Amazon.  But I do sincerely hope that their sales increase this year.  According to my husband, the chain is a little in trouble.  Probably because of people like me who do a lot of online shopping.

Anyway, it was great to hear from you today.  I admire your passion in your cause.  I just wish that your beliefs regarding same-sex marriage weren't so strong.  It kinda makes me sad.  But I'm sure that you're really a good guy.

Have a good night, Tim.

Yours in Christ,

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment