Friday, November 21, 2014

Hi Tim! Busy trying to keep up! A lot's going on!

Hi Tim,

I didn't have the chance to write the past couple of nights.  I feel kind of bad about it.  If I track back, I think I missed two yesterday, but I caught the one tonight.  Let me try to catch up.  I'm going to get my information from your e-mails only, because I don't have a load of time to research.  See, I'm going to see my family tomorrow in Louisiana.  I know I'll have a great time!  But I digress.

Here we go:

  • You told me that The Dugger family has been viciously attacked!  Wow, when I first read that, I immediately thought that maybe a bear had broke into their house and mauled them.  Only when I read your e-mail did I realize that the Duggers are the family that is the subject of the TV program "19 Kids And Counting."  The sheer number of them would feed a herd of bears!  Wow, sorry...that was a terrible joke.  But then I realized (according to your words) that "rabid homosexual activists" had attacked them. I felt better for the family.  But rabies is no laughing matter.
  • You urged me to "Take Action: An injustice by an Air Force commander."  Apparently, an Air Force colonel was interviewed for his base's newsletter, and he spoke of his faith.  Then the commander of the Air Force blocked the interview from being published in the newsletter.  Me?  I like when people talk about their faith.  It can be religious:  Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish.  It can be about nature, the stars, the oceans and rivers, or simply the goodness of others.  I like the idea of faith.  Everybody needs something to believe in.  But I'm going to have to go with the commander on this one.  If this Air Force colonel is commanding people of other faiths, including atheism, then they may feel a little uncomfortable reporting to a man who is so open in his Christian faith.  Of course, I would not have a problem with it.  But let's put the shoe on the other foot.  How comfortable would you and I be, if we were reporting to a man who always talked about how Astrology has changed his life, and how he can figure people out by their birthdays?  I bet we'd not be comfortable.  Well, ok...I would.  By the way, I'm a Libra.
  • You informed me of how a student was seeking permission for Christian messages that were refused last year.  Here, an elementary school student was denied from bringing candy canes to school to give to other children.  Wow, sad.  He just wanted to do something nice for his schoolmates.  But then I read further, on the link you provided.  There were Christian messages on the candy canes speaking to how they were formed in the letter "J" and how the red on the canes represented Christ's blood.  That's kinda scary for grade-schoolers!  If I heard that as a child, I'd NEVER eat another candy cane in my life.  Furthermore, I'd be mortified, if my son or daughter came home from school with that treat.  But seriously, the message was a bit out of place.  Imagine the Jewish/Buddhist/Muslim/Atheist parent having to explain the message to their small child.  Tough conversation.
  • Your linked me to an article about how Students were denied right, again, to form Christian club at NY high school.  I don't have much to say about this.  Based on the facts that I have on hand, they should be able to have their "Dare To Believe" club.  Like I said earlier, I'm only going on your e-mails and links, so I might be missing something deeper in the story.  I must be.  Because I think that a Christian club at a high school would be a great thing.  Oh, wait.  Might be a "separation of church and state" thing, if it's a public school.  I still wouldn't have a problem with it.  But I would imagine some parents might become concerned, if by allowing "Dare To Believe," that would give rise to such clubs as "Muslim Students Unite!" or "Atheists Together!" or something like that.  Might make people cringe.
  • There was another link in your e-mail to an article about how an Army officer enforced regs on lesbians, and how he got fired.  Well, that's what the title implied.  He actually didn't get canned.  In the first paragraph after the title, it said that his job was in jeopardy.  Well, anyway...apparently he caught a couple of soldiers, female soldiers, making out, and other soldiers were taking pictures of them.  He took "immediate action to stop the inappropriate behavior."  The officer faced a hearing and was found guilty of assault.  Assault.  Yes, assault.  How exactly did he take "immediate action to stop the inappropriate behavior"?  I'm definitely not going to research that one further.   I know when my mind goes without any additional information.  And I don't like that direction.
That was kinda long, Tim.  Like I said, I'm just trying to catch up, since you are as faithful with your correspondence as you are with your beliefs.  I was bowling for our gay bowling league Wednesday night, and last night I was writing some fiction.  Probably nothing you would enjoy, since the story focuses on a gay guy.

Hey, hope you have a good weekend, buddy.  I'm going to get to see my son.  That will be fun.  Plus, I'll be visiting a new church in my hometown.  I'm excited about that.

Take it easy, Tim.

Yours in Christ,

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment