Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wonderfully Away

This weekend was one of my great lost ones.  I didn't do much. 
  • Saturday morning with our Breakfast Bunch 
  • Saturday afternoon with our best friends, helping them move furniture
  • Lots of piano practice
That was about it.

Sunday afternoon, I left the house for my piano lesson a bit early.  I thought that I'd just take my time on the freeways and not have to be in much of a rush.  But that was not meant to be.

When I turned from West Bellfort and onto South Post Oak to get on the West Loop, I saw back-to-back traffic waiting for me.  After living in Houston for almost 20 years, sometimes I'm still stunned at the number of people on the freeways.  Now, if I were more of a sports fan, I would have been better prepared.  The Texans had played at home today.  The game must have just let out (I did check the score later to see that the Texas beat the Dolphins).

For the drive, I had Circuital by My Morning Jacket in my stereo "Wonderful (The Way I Feel)" came on.  I put the song on repeat and slowly worked my way in the bumper-to-bumper.  The song can always take me away.  So I did a bit of day-dreaming as I inched north. 

As the song played, I found myself
  • Sailing on a catamaran, off the coast of Cozumel
  • Looking at clouds at Galveston Island
  • Swimming in the waters of Puerto Rico
  • Walking around my sister's yard and enjoying her flowers, planted among the Louisiana pines. 
I was only five minutes late for my piano lesson.  Amazing, since I'd been thousands of miles away during the drive.

Back on the freeway after my lesson, I listened to the same song over and again, all the way home.



I hope you also had the chance to get away from it all this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment