Sunday, July 10, 2011

"You're My Sunshine"

How often do we snap at our loved ones when something completely unrelated to them has angered, hurt or disappointed us?
I pulled that the other night.

I had a particularly difficult day at work, and consequently, I’d come home feeling raw.  The Man and I ate dinner.  Around 8 PM, I went to lie down in the bedroom.  The phone rang (one of his old friends), I set Innervisions by Stevie Wonder very low on my iPod and soon feel asleep.

I woke to “Living for the City,” and a kiss on the cheek from The Man.
I grumbled, “You woke me up.”

Surprised, he said, “I’m sorry.”

I pouted the rest of the evening.


A little past our normal bedtime, The Man came up behind me as I sat at my office desk.  “Well, I’m going to bed.” he said quietly, and then he kissed me on the shoulder.  I said "OK" flatly, but didn’t turn around.

After a few minutes, I realized that I was being a jerk.  I walked into the bedroom, leaned against my dresser and sighed.  “I’m not sleepy now.  You woke me up earlier.”

He laughed.  “I know … you told me that.”

I smiled, apologetically “Sorry for being grumpy.  I’m not upset with you.”

“I know.”

“It was a rough day at work…”

“I figured.”

"I just wanted to go to sleep and escape the day."  Then I vented a bit about the earlier trials and the resulting anger, hurt, and disappointment.  He listened; he just listened quietly.

At the end of my monologue, I said, “I’m sorry.  I really try to keep work at work. Thank you for listening to me.”

“That’s why I’m here.” He smiled.

“You are so important to me.”

“I know.”


I can walk around grumpy, and this is what I get:
As I am leaving for work in the mornings: “You look so cute today.”
When I come home from work, a tight hug and a beaming smile: “This is the best part of my day.”
Absolutely anytime at all, a deep look into my eye:  “You’re my sunshine.”

"You're My Best Friend"  Queen

Regardless of the scowl on my face, my heart is warm and light.  The warmth makes my face glow; the lightness sets my feet in the clouds.  And daily, I'm convinced of just how lucky I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment